Coordination of Metadata Strategies?
Some info on metadata standards being used by JISCMRD projects is available on the commonalities spreadsheet.
There was a breakout group at the Programme Launch Workshop on metadata standards: for blogged accounts of this session, see http://researchdataessex.posterous.com/metadata-session-feedback-mrd-2011-13-program and http://sonexworkgroup.blogspot.com/2011/12/thematic-parallel-session-on-metadata.html
The Metadata Breakout Group came up with some actions, though these are reported a little differently on the two blogged accounts…:
- Louise [Corti] would take a first pass at a grid template and send this round for comment
- Projects working in similar domains to consult each other about the use of metadata, early on
- Simon [Hodson] to organise a Programme meeting to be held in early Spring 12 to discuss metadata further and gain some agreement.
- Trying to locate (or otherwise collect) an already existing registry of metadata standards for different disciplines, in order to offer researchers from a given discipline an already tested metadata schema they can re-use,
- Mapping metadata standards to each other aiming to produce a minimum-sufficient-information metadata set that may be widely applicable accross disciplines,
- Taking steps towards organising a workshop in order to have metadata issues discussed among relevant stakeholders. ANDS Metadata Workshop in 2010 might be a potential source of inspiration for this with all those discipline-based approaches to metadata standards. Proposed dates for this Metadata WS were spring-summer 2012.
Louise has sent me a template, and I confess – mea culpa – that it got buried for the time being. It is now available as JISCMRD Projects’ Metadata Usage. It would be good if projects working in similar domains could build on this to share information about standards being used. We should explore whether there is already an existing registry of metadata standards for different disciplines? Does anyone know of such a thing?
I think it is very important for the programme as a whole develop convergence upon ‘a minimum-sufficient-information metadata set that may be widely applicable accross disciplines’ which may be used by the projects. To work towards this end, there will be a programme workshop on aligning JISCMRD projects’ metadata strategies. I plan to organise this for May.