The MRDonto Group was one of five Working Groups formed at the JISCMRD Phase Two Launch Workshop. The MRDonto Group’s discussion ranged over the following areas:
- Data processing and data publication workflows.
- Generic ontologies and metadata models for describing datasets, to supplement domain- specific ontologies to describe the research field.
- Recording provenance for datasets.
- Assigning credit and attribution for data publication and recording data reuse.
- Knowledge management tool stacks.
The MRDonto group agreed to share information about a number of areas of shared interest; they will be using the tag #MRDonto.
The group intends, when appropriate, to set up an open access MRDonto Knowledge Blog for papers on this topic.
The identified areas of interest include:
- the concept of Research Objects (Bechofer paper: http://bit.ly/d2Fi0i);
- the STFC Scientific Metadata Model (http://code.google.com/p/icatproject/wiki/CSMD) as a basis for further OWL dataset ontology development
- CERIF – the Common European Research Information Format (http://cordis.europa.eu/cerif/; http://www.eurocris.org/; http://www.eurocris.org/Index.php?page=CERIF2008&t=1).
- SPAR, the Semantic Publishing and Referencing Ontologies (http://bit.ly/9d8qAi), that include CiTO, the Citation Typing Ontology, for discussion as to how these might be used for use with datasets in addition to bibliographic entities, or might require extensions for such use.
- Open Provenance Model (http://openprovenance.org/) and the W3C Provenance Incubator Group (http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/prov/charter), to enable provenance tracking of datasets through workflows and into published entities